12.17.2008

School is over...

School and work's kept me on lock down for the past few weeks. Now that final projects are complete and break has commenced, I can relax a little.

Last week, I got a call from the Ravinia women's board saying that my submission to their annual poster contest won! Not only will I see my poster all over Highland Park (as well as various other locations across Chicagoland), but I also get a hefty $1000 check, plus an extra $100 for every time they use my design for adverts, catalogs, what have you. UIC's Graphic Design Faculty Advisor, Matthew Gaynor (an awsome guy), also gets a $500 check. What perfect timing, too! I get to pay off my credit cards and I'll have enough money for Christmas shopping and some Nikon swag. Maybe even coilovers... nah, that'll have to wait.

Anyway, here is the poster design. I have been asked to tweak it a little, so I'll post the final version when it comes time to send it to the printers.


The 24x36 poster is for their annual music festival, and this year's theme was the celebration of Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday. It was hard to design in a style that I don't normally do, but Matthew said that I'd need to consider the judges first, and typographic/compositional elements after. I guess a literal concept and rudimentary balancing pays off in situations like these. Jennifer from Ravinia said there was over 220 submissions, and the fact that mine was chosen still surprises me.

The best part about all of this is I may be able to intern at Ravinia, or even get a job with them. They said they were looking for photographers and designers, so I may look into that in the summer. I'm hoping to get an internship at MorningStar Chicago to keep me busy next semester. I'll be making more money there while doing much less work.

With that said, introspectrumdigital.com will be up within the next few weeks. I'll be needing that site up for my interview. Wish me luck!

Kevin

No comments: